Are you legal to tow?

Rules that changed more than 20 years ago could put points on your licence, or even void your insurance...

Who needs to take the B+E Car & Trailer test?

Drivers who tow medium and large trailers or caravans using a car, van, or 4x4 usually require the Category B+E entitlement on their licence. Anyone who passed their car driving test before 1997, automatically acquired 'grandfather rights' for categories: B+E (car & trailer), C1 (7.5 tonnes), and D1 (minibus - not for hire or reward).

Drivers who passed their car driving test after January 1, 1997,  are only given the Category B entitlement, which allows them to drive a car, van, or 4x4 with a plated weight (Maximum Authorised Mass) no greater than 3,500kg. The B+E Car & Trailer Towing vocational driving test needs to be passed to acquire this category at a DVSA Driving Test Centre.

How to get started in taking your B+E Car & Trailer test:

Step 1, Book in for your first lesson / assessment.
Step 2, Decide how many extra lesson you require and book your test.
Step 3, Take your test!

Click images below for more info:


B+E (Experienced) Course and Test

B+E (Novice) 2 to 1 Course & Tests

B+E (Do it yourself)