Are you a people person?

Whether you're looking to drive a local bus route, or take coach tours all over the UK and Europe, becoming a professional PCV driver can be very rewarding...

How to gain your PCV driving licence:

Knowing where to start with getting your licence can be very confusing. The Ben Shaw Training training advisors will guide you every step of the way...

First, some basic rules and terminology:

  • PCV means Passenger Carrying Vehicle, which used to be called PSV (Public Service Vehicle).This name change happened in the 1990's.
  • Licence category D1 is for passengers vehicles between 8 and 16 passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. The D1 test can be bypassed by taking the D test instead!
  • D1+E is a D1 vehicle with a trailer up to 4,500kg.
  • Licence category D allows you to drive a vehicle over 16 passengers, but only a small trailer up to 750kg. (Coach / Bus) The D test must be passed before you can move on to taking the D+E (Coach and trailer).
  • The Driver CPC is an extra qualification that is required for commercial PCV drivers.

How to get started:

Step 1: You need to undergo a PCV medical. The doctor will fill in form D4.
Step 2: You need to fill in form D2 and send your licence off to DVLA to apply for your provisional entitlement for D1 or D.
Step 3: When you get your licence is back with the provisional entitlement, you can then book your PCV theory tests. You must pass all three theory tests: the Multiple Choice, the Hazard Perception tests, and the Driver CPC Case Study.
Step 4: Once you have passed the relevant theory tests, then you can go on to take your practical driving test.

Ben Shaw Training will help you every step of the way...

We have the D2 and D4 forms. We have doctors in your area. We book your theory tests at a test centre close to you. We have a theory study package to help you pass your theory tests. We have modern easy to drive training vehicles. We will book your training and test on dates that suit you.

Click on the images below to more info:




PCV Driver CPC