Horsing around at the weekend?

Whether you're wanting to transport your horses for personal use, or if it's in a professional capacity, deciding on the best method for moving them around and knowing what driving licence you need can be quite confusing.

The Ben Shaw Training Ltd training advisors will guide you every step of the way.

B+E (Car & Trailer) or LGV (Large Goods Vehicle) Licence.

First, some basic rules and terminology:

  • Licence category B is for a car/van/4x4 up to a Maximum Authorised Mass of 3,500kg. This means you can drive 3.5 tonne horsebox on a (B) car licence.
  • B+E is for a (B) car/van/4x4 MAM 3,500kg, towing a trailer within the vehicle's towing limits (typically maximum of 3,500kg, but usually less for normal vehicles. Check your VIN plate!).
  • LGV means Large Goods Vehicle, which used to be called HGV (Heavy Goods Vehicle).This name change happened in the 1990's.
  • Licence category C1 is for goods vehicles between 3,500kg and 7,500kg with a trailer up to 750kg. The C1 test can be bypassed by taking the C test instead!
  • C1+E is a C1 vehicle with a trailer up to 4,500kg.
  • Licence category C allows you to drive a vehicle over 3,500kg, but only a small trailer up to 750kg. (Rigid / HGV Class 2). This is the most popular licence for horsebox drivers.
  • If you're wanting to pull a trailer with your C licence you need C+E. The C test must be passed before you can move on to taking the C+E (truck and trailer / HGV Class 1).
  • The Driver CPC is an extra qualification that is required for commercial LGV drivers. Driving a horesbox as part of your hobby/leisure time you don't require the Driver CPC. However, transporting horses for gain does. Even taking your horse to a completion and winning a rosette counts as gain, so you require the Driver CPC.

B+E – Car & Trailer

LGV C1 – 3.5 to 7.5 tonne

LGV C – Any LGV over 3.5 tonne